Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Social Story for Nap Time

Here's an example of the use of a social story for a child I see in the HeadStart environment (I removed the pictures for privacy).  He is wiggly at best and disruptive at worst during naptime.  The thing is, he really NEEDS the sleep!  We are going to try this intervention next week sometimes it can be helpful to use a story like this to prep the child before a change.  This idea has worked in the past for other kids!  Also, try noise canceling headphones, a weighted blanket under the direction of an OT, or placing the child's cot under a classroom table with a sheet draped over to give him a feeling of enclosure.  Simple words and clear pictures help the child understand exactly what's going to happen and what's expected of him.  Happy napping!

This is Nap Time
Miss Chelsea is bringing me a tunnel and sleeping bag for nap time on Wednesday.
(picture of tunnel)
When I do not stay on my mat during nap time my friends cannot sleep.
Then they are very tired.
(picture of tired child)

Everyone needs to rest during nap time so everyone can be ready to play, even me!(picture of children resting on their mats)
First I will get ready for nap time by giving myself five bear hugs.
(picture of child hugging self)
Then I will crawl into the tunnel and lay down inside the sleeping bag.
(picture of child getting in sleeping bag)
I will let Miss Barb or Miss Kelly zip me up in the sleeping bag.
Then I will rest quietly.  No more talking.  No more singing.  No more moving around.
(picture of boy with resting on elbows with hand over his mouth)

I can look through the tunnel windows quietly.  I can close my eyes and remember something that was fun.  I can be as still as a statue and as quiet as a mouse.
I might even fall asleep.
That’s OK because Miss Kelly and Miss Barb will let me know when it’s time to get up.
(picture of classroom clock)
Then I can roll up the sleeping bag until the next nap time.
(picture of rolled up sleeping bag)
Everyone is happy because everyone got some rest, even me!
(picture of 5 smiling kids)

No comments:

Post a Comment